The Skyblazers aerial demonstration team was formed in 1949 with the 36th Fighter Wing at Furstenfeldbruck AB, Germany. They started with F-80B aircraft, and converted to F-84Es in 1952. The then-designated 36th FBW located to Bitburg AB, Germany in 1952. This move necessitated passing on the team responsibilities to the 86th FBW at Landstuhl AB, also flying F-84Es. In 1953, the responsibility of the team moved again, this time to the 48th FBW at Chaumont AB, France, with F-84Gs. In 1955, they switched to the F-86F. 1956 saw yet another move, this time back to the originators of the team, the 36th FDW at Bitburg AB, now flying the F-100C. The 36th FDW/TFW maintained the team until its last show in 1961. Aerial refueling gave the Thunderbirds world-wide capability, and the wing was also converting to the F-105. These two items led to the decision to retire the Skyblazers team. The team was formally disbanded in January of 1962.